- Calvera Hydrogen has developed in its facilities in Zaragoza (Spain), a 45 feet tube trailer model with a storage capacity of more than 1 Ton of hydrogen using the latest carbon fiber technology. With a working pressure of 517 bar (7500 psi), this tube trailer is unique in the market.
- As a result of a framework agreement between the two companies, new units of this hydrogen tube trailer model will be developed to service Shell hydrogen stations in different parts of the world.
- Both companies have been working together for more than two years on the engineering and technological development of this project, which will take its first steps in the United States and Germany.
Calvera Hydrogen, a leading and pioneering firm in the European hydrogen industry, with more than 40 years of experience in the design and manufacturing of high-pressure hydrogen compression, transport, storage, and dispensing equipment under the highest safety standards, has developed at its facilities in Zaragoza (Spain) the hydrogen tube trailer model with the largest capacity in the world. The equipment is designed to transport 1.0 Ton (2,270 lbs.) of hydrogen on the US roads and more than 1.3 Ton (2,870 lbs) on EU roads (due to the different road weight regulations of each region), with a working pressure of 517 bar (7,500 psi). This makes it the highest working pressure tube trailer in the international market. It is made of state-of-the-art carbon fiber and is 45 feet long. This project has been developed for Shell Hydrogen and will be used to service Shell’s hydrogen refueling stations globally.
Both companies have been working together for more than two years on the engineering and technological development of this project, which will take its first steps in the United States and Germany. Currently, as a result of a framework agreement between the two companies, new units of this tube trailer model are being developed to cover the hydrogen transport needs of Shell’s refueling stations in the United States, Europe and the United Kingdom.
The equipment is designed to optimize to the fullest possible the capacity and pressure of the stored hydrogen, and thus achieve maximum efficiency and cost savings in the dispatch of hydrogen in the hydrogen refueling stations actuating through automatic valves integrated in the tube trailer at different pressure stages and performing the dual function of mobile and fixed smart storage.
Ricardo Calvera, Technical Director of Calvera Hydrogen, said: “It is an honor for us to collaborate so closely with such a high-quality team as Shell Hydrogen to implement this emblematic project. We would like to thank the company for their confidence in our technical capacity, experience and rigorous approach to safety.”
This project stands out for the innovation and complexity of its design and has been conceived under the highest safety standards. It has a differential feature that makes it unique, since it is approved to comply with current regulations in both the United States and Europe, which has been a challenge both in the design and in the regulatory processes for its approval.
Oliver Bishop, General Manager of Shell Hydrogen, said: “This new project furthers our growth and leadership in this rapidly developing global hydrogen supply industry, where Shell Hydrogen is betting on becoming a world leader.”
Shell is an international energy company with expertise in the exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals.
We use advanced technologies and take an innovative approach to help build a sustainable energy future. We also invest in power, including from low-carbon sources such as wind and solar; and new fuels for transport, such as advanced biofuels and hydrogen.
- Calvera Hydrogen develops the largest ever hydrogen transport tube trailer model for Shell Hydrogen
- Analysis of the hydrogen sector by José Luis Fernández Bris, CEO of Calvera Hydrogen
- Calvera Hydrogen obtain the certification according to ISO45001 and the recertification according ISO9001 and ISO14001
- Calvera Hydrogen is one of the 11 successful bidders of the Hydrogen Value Chain call
- Calvera Hydrogen participates in the Valencia Hydrogen Port project